Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe from For The Love of Cooking.net. I wasn't expecting an oven baked onion ring to be very tasty but this recipe proved me wrong. I give full credit to the Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs. I used Vidalia onions.
- 2 sweet yellow onions, sliced into thick rings
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat mat coated with cooking spray.
- Slice the onions into thick rings then separate them.
- Pour the flour into a bowl then season it with a bit of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper then mix well.
- Mix the egg and milk into a bowl until well combined.
- Pour the panko crumbs into another bowl.
- Dredge the onions first in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and finally in the panko crumbs until fully coated. It is ok if the Panko does not stick to the entire ring. They will still be crunchy and delicious. Place each coated ring on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining rings.
- Spray the rings with cooking spray then place into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes then flip the rings over carefully with tongs. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Maybe healthier for you, but I still prefer the deep fried ones. These were a lot of work for the end result. Lotus