Similar to an Italian frittata or an Arab eggah; it's thick and fluffy, and stuffed with herbs, vegetables, or meat. It may be eaten hot or cold — it keeps well in the refrigerator for two or three days. Served as an appetizer, side dish, or light main dish with yogurt or salad and bread. Kukus are traditionally made on the stovetop, but this oven version is much simpler. A fresh herb kuku such as this one is a traditional New Year's dish in Iran. The green herbs symbolize rebirth, and the eggs, fertility and happiness for the year to come. • Advieh, a spice mix is available online at www.sadaf.com. • Dried barberries, which add a sour flavor to many Persian dishes, are available online at www.sadaf.com. "I like to use the dried fenugreek leaves in the batter, and also some red barberries on top for color," says Batmanglij. "Sauté them with a little oil and a teaspoon of sugar, then sprinkle them on top of the kuku just before serving."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Advieh (Persian Spice Mix use 2 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup ghee, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup fresh chives or 1 cup leek, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (or 2 tablespoons dried barberries, cleanened) (optional)
- 1Advieh (Persian Spice Mix).
- 2Thoroughly mix the ground spices and the rose petals. Larger quantities can also be mixed and stored in an airtight container.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F Pour the oil/ghee into an 8-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- 4Break the eggs into a large bowl. Add the baking powder, advieh, salt, and pepper. Lightly beat in the garlic, chopped herbs, flour, and fenugreek. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 5Pour the egg mixture into the dish and bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until the edge is golden brown.
- 6To serve unmold it by loosening the edge with a knife and inverting the dish onto a serving platter. Remove the parchment paper.
- 7NUSH-E JAN!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Omelet (Kuku-Ye Sabzi)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.2
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 345.8 mg
- Sodium 793.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried rose petals