Recipe by MarieRynr
Okay, you're having a party. You gotta have some gooey cheese! A big skillet of feta topped with lemon, fennel and herbe marinated olives and baked in the oven until melty...yummmm!!! It's a tantalizing flavour combination. This recipe is so easy. Serve with pita crisps or slices of rustic bread. I serve this in the same iron skillet I use to make the dish!
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed imported olives, not pitted, drained (Do NOT use oil cured olives)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 7 -8 ounces feta cheese (1 piece)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, toss the olives with the thyme, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds and olive oil.
- Lightly oil the bottom of an 8 to 9 inch ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron.
- Place the cheese in the center of the pan, then top with the marinated olive mixture. Use a spatula to get all the goodies out of the olive tossing bowl and some will fall to the side. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- When ready to bake, heat the oven to 400*F.
- Bake the cheese and the olives for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is soft and gooey. Serve immediately, right out of the pan, with slices of rustic bread, crostini, pitta, or Pita chips.