Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
For all you who love okra! This is deliciously different and not slimey!!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen whole okra, partially thawed or 20 ounces fresh okra, when in season
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons margarine or 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Rinse okra pods in water to separate.
- Pat dry.
- Place okra in a single layer in a greased 9x9x1 3/4-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; dot with margarine.
- Arrange bacon pieces over okra.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove foil from pan and place under broiler until bacon is brown and crisp.
- Sprinkle cheese over okra and replace foil over pan.
- Bake 375 degrees for an additional 10 minutes.
I'm not sure what happened here - I've made quite a few Okra recipes with good results, but this one resulted in a product that was too tough to eat and little flavor.
This was so easy, but a little bland. Next time I may use some extra seasoning, but it was good as-is. My mother loves okra and I'm going to make this for her up-coming visit. Thanks!