Recipe by Miss Annie
This is so easy to make, and it tastes so good. For a change up, add Cajun seasonings instead of the cayenne. I serve with Tabasco on the side.
Top Review by Planner
As I am an okra hater and we ended up with a bunch of it that I refused to waste I was happy to use your yummy recipe. The only change I will make is that I will only use 2 T of olive oil as it was too greasy for me. I did use the Cajun Seasoning and blue corn tortilla chips, which were wonderful. Thanks for posting this alternative to breaded and fried okra :)
- 3 cups sliced okra
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (canned ok)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup cracker crumbs or 1⁄4 cup crushed potato chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread okra in a greased casserole.
- Sprinkle a little of the olive oil on and mix with okra.
- Cover okra with tomatoes, onion, green pepper and seasonings.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400ºF for 1 hour, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover; top with crumbs and brown lightly.