Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Midwest Living October 2008
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Butter 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- In medium saucepan, bring water to boiling.
- Slowly stir in oats.
- Return to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes for quick cooking oats or 5 to 7 minutes for regular oats, or until most water is absorbed and the oats are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and eggs.
- In another small bowl, combine brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt; stir into oatmeal.
- Fold egg mixture into oatmeal mixture.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven 30 to 40 minutes, or until center is just set and sugar crust forms on top.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, if you like.
I made this or breakfast this morning. It was fabulous! I made it exactly as the recipe and we ate the lot! Fast and easy and a very tasty way to eat porridge! I personally dislike oatmeal - so I am glad to find a recipe I enjoy!