Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Cantaloupe sized pumpkins are also known as sugar pumpkins. They are great for baking. This looks beautiful to serve. Children enjoy scooping th seeds out (don't forget to toast them). You can make any variation you want, dried fruit, nuts, maple syrup, etc. It looks great served in the center of the table!
- 2 sugar pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (extra for sprinkling)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (or steel cut are even better for you!!)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4-1 cup low-fat milk (depending on how milky you like your oatmeal and extra for splashing)
- 1 apple (diced small)
- Cut tops off the pumpkins on an angle, so the lid will go back on well. Clean out and set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well and divide batter evenly between the two pumpkins.
- Sprinkle lightly with brown sugar.
- Place both pumpkins on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes with top off. Place top on, loosely, to allow steam to escape and bake 25-40 minutes mores until pumpkin is soft enough to scoop and oatmeal is done.
- After it is done, add a splash of milk.
- Remember: When doling out scoops be sure to scrape up some of that baked pumpkin goodness with the spiced oatmeal.
- You can also cook it with the top off the entire time – the oatmeal will still come out tasting great.