This recipe would be great for a brunch, or for house guest. If available you can use fresh berries. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup mixed berry (frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, peeled cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the walnuts/pecans, half the berries and half the chocolate chips. (Save the other half of berries, walnuts/pecans and chocolate chips for the top of the oatmeal).
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract. Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Arrange the remaining berries, walnuts/pecans and chocolate on top.
- Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything.
- Gently shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set.
This is a popular recipe on the pinterest website and with good reason. It tastes like a big, soft delicious oatmeal cookie. I was particularly excited about how this turned out because I took a chance and doubled the recipe hoping that it would fit in a 9 inch x 13 inch glass baking dish. It fit perfectly and cooked up just fine in the same amount of time that the recipe specified.
I originally found this on Urban Nester's blog and wanted to put it here for safe keeping! It is delicious!!! I used 1/3 cup brown sugar and fresh fruit. Thanks for posting this new family favorite!
This recipe is the bomb. I usually double the fruit. I use frozen blackberries, blueberries and raspberries, whatever I have on hand. I also throw in a little applesauce. Moist and delicious.