Recipe by vitalev
Banana baked oatmeal with peanut butter sauce.... a breakfast Elvis would have loved :) I made this up myself for Food Network's Ultimate Recipe Contest
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- nonstick cooking spray, for pan
- 1⁄2 cup jif creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped peanuts
- 1 banana, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease an 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, combine oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir.
- Beat egg in a separate large bowl. Add vanilla, milk, and ½ cup brown sugar. Whisk until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mash one banana with 2 tbsp brown sugar. Chop one banana in small pieces. Slice remaining banana in rounds.
- Add dry oat mixture to milk mixture. Stir lightly until combined. Add mashed banana and chopped banana (not slices). Stir once.
- Place about half of the sliced banana in bottom of pan. Pour in oat mixture. Press the remaining sliced banana into the top of the oat mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until center is firm.
- While oatmeal cools, melt peanut butter over very low heat, stirring constantly, until a thin sauce forms (be careful not to burn). Serve oatmeal with melted peanut butter, chopped peanuts, and freshly sliced banana.