Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a healthy and delicious way to serve your oatmeal in the morning. With the first taste, you will wonder if it is actually breakfast, or should be served as dessert! Be sure to serve topped with warm milk and your favorite fruit, if desired. Can be made the day before and refrigerated. From the You Asked For It section of Gourmet Magazine, December 2007.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- warm milk
- fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the center of oven.
- Lightly oil 8" square glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, raisins, granulated sugar, baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together applesauce, yogurt, milk, oil eggs, and vanilla, until smooth.
- Stir into oat mixture, then pour into baking dish.
- Stir together brown sugar with remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over oatmeal, then bake until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool to warm in pan on a rack 20-30 minutes, then cut into squares.
- **Note: Baked Oatmeal can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Blot away any moister from surface, then reheat in a preheated 325 degree oven, covered with foil, until heated through, about 15 minutes.
Made this for my dbf who loves oatmeal and often eats it on the go, in his car, on the way to his office. This was perfect for him! He takes his oatmeal without sugar, so added only about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar + the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar on top. Tasted it, delicious!! Thanks Bev! :)