This traditionally fired appetizer is now a bit healthier for you, in this delicious baked version! These are great served with marianara sauce for dipping! Note: The prep time does not include the overnight chilling of the mac and cheese
- The night before you would like to make this dish, cook the box mix of mac and cheese according to the directions on the box. Pour the mac and cheese into an 8 x8, 9x9 or and flat pan in the refrigerator to set overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line three bowls on the counter.
- In the first bowl, combine flour, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- In the second bowl, break the egg and slightly scramble it.
- In the third bowl, place the breadcrumbs and wheat bran.
- Take the chilled mac and cheese out of the refrigerator and cut into 1 x 1 inches blocks. Don't try for perfection, because it won't happen. Just as long as the noodles are sticking together it will work out fine.
- Now drudge the mac and cheese ball into the flour mixture, then egg, then breadcrumbs, and place on a pan.
- Continue the process until you have created as many mac and cheese balls as you wish.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending upon how crusty you like them. And remember to flip the balls around every 10 minutes to make sure all sides cook evenly.