Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
For the oven or grill or hot coals. Prepare ahead, refrigerate. The sauce keeps the potatoes from turning color. Fast and Easy. You may add sliced onions if you wish. I made this recipe for 8. Good camping with fried fish. Note: Alpine Touch Seasoning is a mixture of garlic, salt and pepper. Use these three ingredients if you can't get the seasoning.
- 16 yukon gold potatoes or 16 russet potatoes or 32 fingerling potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 diced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 8 slices sweet white onions, thick slices (optional)
- 1 teaspoon alpine touch seasoning (optional)
- In medium mixing bowl, mix: mayonnaise, margarine, white pepper garlic, cilantro, Italian seasoning and evaporated milk. Cover and refrigerate.Note: if you use Alpine Touch seasoning, delete white pepper and garlic.
- Wash potatoes and slice. Do not peel. Fingerlings, make a slit the length of the potato and do not slice.
- Make 10 inch by 10 inch squares heavy duty foil.
- Preheat oven 350°F or ignite grill medium temperature, or have hot coals with no visible flames ready.
- Two sliced potatoes per foil packet or four fingerling potatoes per foil packet.
- Lay sliced onion on bottom, then sliced potatoes.
- Prepare packets assembly line fashion.
- Add the sauce on top of the potatoes, about 2 to 3 oz. per packet. Fold the packet and seal.
- Cook 1 hour in oven.
- Cook 40 minutes and turn packet over after 20 minutes on medium grill.
- Cook 20 minutes in hot coals, then check.
- If coals are mounded on top of packets, the potatoes should be done, if not cooked another 10 minutes.
- Cooking time listed is for the medium grill.
- Note: You can make these packets ahead of time and warm in a 250°F oven before serving.