Recipe by lolablitz
This is recipe comes from an 1942 copy of Good Housekeeping. My mom makes it every year for St. Patrick's Day and it is Divine.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs corned beef
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 tablespoons ketchup (it's spelled Catchup in the book!)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse Beef.
- Cover with cold water.
- Add bay leaves and peppercorns and bring to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes. Remove scum.
- Cover kettle and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 2 - 2.5 hours or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove to shallow baking pan.
- Dot with whole cloves.
- In small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Cook until blended.
- Pour over meat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, basting occasionally.