1/1 Photo of Baked Mussels With Mushrooms and Bacon
A great hors-d'oeuvre or first course served with a small salad. Make ahead and reheat for 5 minutes in a 350ºF (180ºC) oven. Delicious! From Food and Drink.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb mussels, approx. (16 to 18)
- 2/3 cup pilsner beer
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 1/4 cup finely diced smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 cups mixed mushrooms (oyster and brown cremini mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- 2Put mussels, pilsner and cream in a large pot, cover with a lid, bring to a boil and steam for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mussels have opened.
- 3Remove from heat and drain, reserving cooking liquid in a bowl and discarding any mussels whose shells remain closed.
- 4Strain cooking liquid through a fine sieve, place in a pan and boil for 5 minutes or until thickened. Reserve for sauce.
- 5Remove mussels from shells, separate top and bottom halves of shells, discarding top halves. Reserve remaining shells and mussels separately.
- 6Melt butter over high heat in a large skillet. Sauté shallots, smoked bacon and mushrooms for 3 minutes, or until bacon is cooked and vegetables are soft.
- 7Combine vegetable mixture with reserved mussels, reduced cooking liquid and chopped parsley.
- 8Spoon mussels and mixture into reserved mussel shells. Place in a baking dish, top with grated cheese (at this point you can refrigerate for up to 24 hours until ready to serve) and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and mussels are warmed through.
- 9Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Mussels With Mushrooms and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 598.7
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 191.7 mg
- Sodium 935.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 35.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: