Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
Baked mushrooms with zucchini stuffing Chef Sal Scognamillo of Patsy's in New York City takes an Italian favorite and kicks it up a notch.
- 1⁄2 cup canned chopped tomato with juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more for coating baking dish
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, rinsed and finely diced (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 24 large white mushrooms, rinsed and patted dry (about 1 pound)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the tomatoes in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat, and reserve.
- Heat ¼ cup of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium flame.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the diced zucchini and continue cooking until lightly browned.
- Stir in the reserved tomatoes, the basil, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Add the cooled zucchini mixture and the beaten egg, stirring until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Lightly coat a baking dish with oil.
- Place the mushrooms cap side down in one layer in the dish.
- Season with the remaining salt and pepper, and fill with the zucchini mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a light crust forms. Serve hot.