Recipe by I'mPat
From Australian Super Food Ideas May 2007. Make a great light meal. Suggested if serving to children omit chilli powder and adults could add tabasco or hot chilli sauce. Times are estimated.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (mexican optional, see introduction)
- 1 cup long grain rice (rinsed)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken if not doing vegetarian)
- 270 g corn kernels (can, drained)
- 4 large mushrooms (flat or fields)
- 1 large avocado (mashed)
- 2 spring onions (scallions sliced)
- 1 cup tasty cheese (grated)
- 1⁄4 cup coriander leaves (cilantro)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add chilli powder (if using) and then add rice, cook stirring, for 1 minute and then add stock. Cover and bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook for a further 10 minutes or until all stock is nearly all absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat, add corn and cover and stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wipe mushrooms with paper towels and trim the stems.
- Place on an oven tray, bake for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Spoon avocado onto stem side of mushrooms, sprinkle with spring onions and cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese just melts.
- Stir rice with a fork to separate the grains. Add coriander and season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Spoon rice onto plates and top with mushrooms or serve mushrooms to side of rice.