Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love mushrooms, which is ironic because when I was a kid my father would take me mushroom hunting. I hated mushrooms so never paid attention to his instructions except to pick the ones he pointed out. Somewhere along the way in life I began eating mushrooms and now LOVE them. So when I come across an unusual recipe for them, I save it. This is one of them. This recipe is featured within our Tried & True Slow Cooker & Casserole cookbook @ http://allrecipes.com/slowcooker/ Submitted by: Maryanne "You can vary this easy rice side dish by adding different spices or meat."
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the white rice, cream of mushroom soup, and vegetable broth. You can use any kind of broth here.
- Blend in the onion, mushrooms, parsley, oregano, melted butter, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish, and cover with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven.
- If the rice is looking dry before it is tender, then pour in a little water and continue cooking until rice is tender.
MMMM delicious! I cut the recipe in half to suit our family and served it with chicken for Sunday night dinner. It was a big hit with everyone, even my picky 5 year old. Thanks for posting!
A very tasty side dish! Since there are just the 2 of us, I scaled the recipe in half. I increased the amount of mushrooms (cause I love them) and substituted with chicken broth (all I had). I added a lot of extra liquid & removed fom the oven after 60 minutes as the rest of our dinner was ready. The rice (Uncle Ben's converted long grain) still wasn't quite cooked. I'll make this again but double the broth right at the start & plan on 60 - 70 minutes of cooking time. Thanx Lee!