Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thanks go to NurseDi for inspiring me to create this side dish, based on her Mushroom Oven Rice. The butter gives the rice a lovely rich quality, so I'd advise against substituting margarine. I think it would be an ideal side for any meat. It is also an easy offering for your next potluck.
- 236.59 ml uncooked basmati rice
- 8 slice bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml finely chopped celery (optional)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped onion (optional)
- 236.59 ml sliced fresh mushrooms (more if you're not using the celery and onions)
- 473.18 ml chicken broth or 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 2-3 clove garlic, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- dried oregano
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F or 220 C.
- If you are using a fan assisted oven, you can cut the heat by about 10 percent.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté the rice and bacon for two minutes.
- Add the celery, onion and mushrooms.
- Cook and stir for a further 2-4 minutes, until the vegetables just start to soften.
- Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Stir in the broth and garlic.
- Add a generous amount of black pepper and a couple pinches of oregano.
- Mix well.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
This was quick and easy. Good flavor although I did add more celery and onion than was called for. The one thing I found was that there was too much butter. I would suggest cutting the butter in half. It was quite sufficient.
We thorougly enjoyed this. I do think next time, I'll cook the bacon for a few more minutes before I add the rice to see if I can get it more crispy. That was the only critique my DH and I had about it when we ate the dish. Otherwise, everything was inhaled and leftovers were snatched up early the next day. Thanks so much, this is a keeper and I plan on making it again soon.
Simply fantastic! I used four slices of thick bacon and that was plenty for our tastes and I didn't have basmati, just regular Uncle Bens white rice. We will definitely be making this again. Thank you for this fabulous recipe!