Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another web find -- looks yummy!! My husband is not a huge fan of marinara, so I am always on the lookout for something a little different! This looks easy enough to adapt to various types of pasta as well...
- 1 lb mushroom, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, whole
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 10 ounces penne (about 2 1/2 cups dry pasta)
- 3 ounces bel paese cheese, cubed (or any creamy, mild cheese such as Havarti, Fontina)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Saute the mushrooms and whole garlic clove in 2 tablespoons of the butter over a high heat.
- Add salt and pepper, lower the heat and cook for about 3 minutes. Discard the garlic.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and individual taste. Drain, and mix with remaining 2 tbs butter.
- In a large casserole dish that has been greased, add a layer of cooked penne.
- Top layer of penne with about a quarter of the mushrooms and the sliced cheese and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan.
- Repeat layers until you have used all the ingredients, finishing with a layer of sliced cheeses.
- Pur over the cream, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake, covered with foil, in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Bake uncovered for a further 10 minutes, or until a light crust has formed on the top.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
I have been craving mushrooms and this hit the spot! I'm afraid I'm a bit of a garlic addict, so I crushed the garlic and obviously left it in! A really easy comfort food dish that I'll definitely repeat! Thanks!
I am not going to rate this until I make it right. Even with my mistakes it was tasty, but not quite satisfying enough as an entree. I forgot the cream. Instead of fresh mushrooms (which went bad) I used a combination of rehydrated dried mushrooms and about half a jar of mushrooms in a vinegar solution, which I rinsed to remove some of the acidity. I used a combination of white cheeses. Because I was running out of time, I just mixed everything together and spooned it into a casserole dish. I liked this but would have liked it a bit creamier, which the cream would have provided.
This was a big hit in my house! My DH raved about it and says that I should definitely keep it on my "make again and again" list. You know how silly I am, though, I completely forgot to add the heavy cream and the salt and pepper but it still had great flavor! Next time, though, I'll be sure to not miss that step. I used Havarti cheese, one of my favorites. Delish!