Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Tasty & easy finger food for anytime of the day!!
- 2 (5 ounce) packages mozzarella string cheese
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- marinara sauce
- *Remove cheese from packages; cut each cheese stick in half crosswise.
- *Combine flour and cornstarch in a shallow dish. Beat egg whites with water in another shallow dish until well mixed. Combine bread crumbs, oregano and salt in a third shallow dish.
- *Coat cheese with flour mixture. Dip into egg white mixture, being sure to coat thoroughly, including ends. Coat with bread crumb mixture. Dip into egg whites and bread crumbs a second time, being sure ends are coated. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Freeze at least 1 hour.
- *Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Drizzle cheese sticks with melted butter. Bake until crumbs juswt begin to brown, 5-7 minutes. Serve warm with marinara sauce.
- *ENJOY! :0 ).
Pretty tasty. I'm not sure what was served by cutting the cheese in half. We would have preferred whole ones. I used 3 egg whites as was recommended by a reviewer. I also did not use the 2 tbsp. of butter. I just sprayed them with some nonstick spray. For my breadcrumbs I used some regular and some pretzel pieces and then left off the salt. These would be great at a finger food dinner or for the super bowl. But you need to eat them right away because they cool quickly!
Great recipe! I think I'll use seasoned breadcrumbs instead next time, as the oregano just wasn't enough, but then again, the plain coating didn't matter once I started dipping in the heated marinara sauce! Yum! My fingers got pretty goopy trying to coat these, what with all the back-and-forthing between the egg whites and breadcrumbs! Next time, I'll use 3 egg whites, for two were barely enough.