Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is wonderful as a first course or as a light but filling choice for a luncheon. There's just something about melted cheese and tomatoes that's been the basis for many thousands upon thousands of recipes. It's great served on it's own oven-proof plate. It's also low carb! Now you don't have any excuse to try it! I like this with an asparagus spear or two, placed on top. This is enough for a crowd, but it scales down great.
- 20 slices mozzarella cheese
- 20 slices tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 20 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 head curly-leaf lettuce (can use parsley)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each tomato slice.
- Sprinkle the basil evenly on top of all of the cheese slices.
- Carefully wrap the prosciutto around each tomato-cheese bundle.
- Place the bundles, fold side down in several shallow baking dishes that can be used for serving, if desired. If you do not have a suitable dish for baking and serving, have salad plates set aside and serve the packages on individual plates as a first course.
- Sprinkle the packages with wine and dot each with butter.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt. Garnish individual plates or serving dish with lettuce or parsley.