Prep 4 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 pieces mozzarella string cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 cup heated marinara sauce or 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- butter or margarine
- In a small bowl, beat eggs& water.
- In a plastic bag, combine bread crumbs, italian seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Coat cheese sticks in flour, then dip in egg mixture and bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat egg and bread crumb coatings.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet& drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until heated through.
- Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Use marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping.
Delicious. I used low-fat cheese sticks to try and be a little more healthy. These were great! I used 3 egss instead of 2. With some spaghetti sauce they were perfect! I would definately recommend trying them out!
"Better than fried!" says my fiance. I cut this in half, and did 6 string cheese sticks, each cut in half. I forgot to do the 2nd coating (step 4). I stuck them in the freezer for an hour, and then stuck them in the oven. I put them in for 6 minutes, then realized that I forgot to spray them with canola oil spray, so I did that and then stuck them in for around 2-4 minutes more, until they started oozing just a bit. Even with my forgetfulness, they were absolutely awesome!!!
My oven took 10-12 minutes to get them like at a restaurant but they were well worth the wait. My daughter used ranch for her dip and the rest of the family loved them with marinara. Thanks !