Recipe by Audrey M
I love this macaroni bake because of the cheese and how creamy it turns out.
Top Review by Jeffsmom
I omitted the onions and used chopped roasted peppers instead of the fresh sweet red pepper. I sprinkled the top very lightly with the chili powder, as I didn't want it to be too overwhelming for my son. My only regret is that I didn't double it. Thanks for the posting!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (bell pepper)
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Rinse cooked pasta with cold water; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven; add onion and sweet red pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir cheese, soup, and sour cream into Dutch oven.
- Stir in macaroni; spoon into a lightly greased 2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with chili powder.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.