1 hr 10 mins
My mom received many kudos for making this dish many years ago. Never very good at describing recipes, she vaguely gave me directions. I have been making this now for many years but its the first time its been properly written down. I'm sure, were she around, she'd be happy now to give it to anyone who asked for it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked potatoes, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup carrot, diced into 1 inch cubes,steamed or boiled
- 2 cups green peas, boiled or steamed
- 1 cup French beans, cut into 1/2 inch bits,boiled or steamed
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1/2 cup cream (optional)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1Heat 2 tblsps of butter in a saucepan.
- 2Add flour and stir till bubbly.
- 3Remove from fire and add milk all at once, stirring quickly with a wire whisk so that no lumps form.
- 4Return to fire and bring to a boil, stirring all the time.
- 5When the sauce thickens, remove from fire.
- 6Add 1/2 cup cheese, save the other half for topping.
- 7Cool slightly, add salt, pepper, lemon juice and sugar.
- 8Add cream (if using).
- 9Mix well.
- 10Put all the vegetables in an oven proof dish and pour the sauce over it.
- 11Stir lightly to coat the vegetables.
- 12Top with reserved cheese and dot with 1 tsp butter.
- 13Bake in a hot oven for 20 mins, finishing off under the grill for 5 mins, till the top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Mixed Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.6
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 64.5 mg
- Sodium 899.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.9 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 25.9 g