Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mom received many kudos for making this dish many years ago. Never very good at describing recipes, she vaguely gave me directions. I have been making this now for many years but its the first time its been properly written down. I'm sure, were she around, she'd be happy now to give it to anyone who asked for it!
- 2 cups cooked potatoes, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup carrot, diced into 1 inch cubes,steamed or boiled
- 2 cups green peas, boiled or steamed
- 1 cup French beans, cut into 1/2 inch bits,boiled or steamed
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream (optional)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat 2 tblsps of butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour and stir till bubbly.
- Remove from fire and add milk all at once, stirring quickly with a wire whisk so that no lumps form.
- Return to fire and bring to a boil, stirring all the time.
- When the sauce thickens, remove from fire.
- Add 1/2 cup cheese, save the other half for topping.
- Cool slightly, add salt, pepper, lemon juice and sugar.
- Add cream (if using).
- Mix well.
- Put all the vegetables in an oven proof dish and pour the sauce over it.
- Stir lightly to coat the vegetables.
- Top with reserved cheese and dot with 1 tsp butter.
- Bake in a hot oven for 20 mins, finishing off under the grill for 5 mins, till the top is golden brown.
A big hit with my family, everyone loved it. Also a great way to sort of mask the veggies for little kids
I just made this to go with our dinner tonight. It was really tasty & quite simple. Of course, I too used frozen mixed veggies & cooked potatoes. I skipped the cream, since the amount of sauce looked plentiful enough & a really nice consistency already. I'm looking forward to using all fresh veggies next time, since that's always better. I've already added it to my cookbook for the future. Thanks!
I reviewed somebody else's meaning to review this one. I used canned mixed vegetables for this and it still turned out great. Thanks, Honeybeee