Recipe by cookingpompom
A tomato based Mexican rice. Can be made the day before and re-heated (easy for entertaining). This resembles our favourite Mexican restaurant's rice dish that I love. If you double, add extra cooking time.
Top Review by Susie D
Pink & fluffy this does resemble restaurant mexican rice. I used fresh garlic & chicken broth & followed the instructions. The rice has a smoky top note from the cumin, but otherwise is mild. Next time I might sprinkle with cilantro or green onions for serving, but I would make it again. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup white rice, don't use instant (short grain)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken or 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the oil in a saucepan (medium) and cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chilli and fry over a medium heat until fragrant (about 1 - 2 minute).
- Add the rice, stock and paste, stir to combine.
- When ALMOST to the boil, transfer to a 2 litre (8 cup) capacity oven proof dish with a lid.
- Cover and bake at 180oC for 35-40 minutes (or until cooked).
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.