Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tomato based Mexican rice. Can be made the day before and re-heated (easy for entertaining). This resembles our favourite Mexican restaurant's rice dish that I love. If you double, add extra cooking time.
- Place the oil in a saucepan (medium) and cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chilli and fry over a medium heat until fragrant (about 1 - 2 minute).
- Add the rice, stock and paste, stir to combine.
- When ALMOST to the boil, transfer to a 2 litre (8 cup) capacity oven proof dish with a lid.
- Cover and bake at 180oC for 35-40 minutes (or until cooked).
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Pink & fluffy this does resemble restaurant mexican rice. I used fresh garlic & chicken broth & followed the instructions. The rice has a smoky top note from the cumin, but otherwise is mild. Next time I might sprinkle with cilantro or green onions for serving, but I would make it again. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I used long grain rice, only 1/2 tsp of cumin cause it's not our favorite spice. I cooked it on the stove-top at low heat 20 minutes because my oven was taken at a higher degree. It was good, even my son liked it. It was not spicy for him. Thanks cookingpompom :) Made for ZWT8 for Diners, Winers and Chives
Sorry, this didn't work for us. Found it bland and dry. Perhaps some diced green chilies would help? Also, as long as I had to dirty a pan to get it started, I think I would just cook it on the stovetop and save the oven. Made for ZWT8.