Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This dip is a great starter for a Mexican Themed dinner night. I'm not too wonderful with "precise measurements", so please use the spices listed to you own taste. I sometimes will add diced, fresh tomatoes on top when they're in season. Also, some green onion on top is always nice too.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces grated cheese, I like sharp cheddar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 chili powder
- cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (I use low fat)
- 1 -2 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded lettuce
- tortilla chips, for scooping
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix black beans with cumin, coriander, chili powder and cayenne pepper and spread over the bottom of an over-proof baking dish.
- I don't usually measure the spices, so please use them to your own taste.
- (I'm a bit heavy handed with the cayenne pepper!) Sprinkle the grated cheese over top of the beans.
- I usually sprinkle a little chili powder or cumin on top of the cheese to give it a little color.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375°F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling slightly.
- Remove from oven and spoon sour cream evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Add shredded lettuce, jalapeños (if using), and top with fresh cilantro.
- Serve immediately with nacho chips for dipping.