1 hr 30 mins
Chef #174919's Note:
After doing a search, I couldn’t find a decent Shepherd’s Pie recipe… I did find recipes for meatloaf and mashed potato bake, however. And thus, Baked Meatloaf Shepherd Pie was birthed. This recipe is an adaptation of two highly rated recipes, Meatloaf #54257 and Mashed Potato Bake #41344. It is comfort food and a great dish to bring to someone who needs a meal, as it doubles easily, and freezes well. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 slice bread, finely chopped
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 small sweet onion, finely chopped (such as Vidalia)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4-1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 sweet onion, sliced in rings (such as Vidalia)
- 4 butter potatoes, cubed
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream or 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen carrots, thawed and drained
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Prepare meatloaf: Combine first eight ingredients in a large bowl.
- 3Smooth into a loaf baking dish.
- 4Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- 5While meatloaf is baking, prepare potatoes: Boil potatoes until tender, drain water.
- 6Mash potatoes with fork, stirring in 1/3 cup of half & half.
- 7In skillet melt margarine and brown slices of onions.
- 8Put on lid and cook, stirring occasionally, making sure all of the onions get brown (usually about 10 minutes).
- 9Mix potatoes and onions in a medium-size bowl.
- 10Place mixture in 2-qt baking dish and top with cheese.
- 11Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- 12When meatloaf and potatoes are done, remove from oven.
- 13Assemble shepherd’s pie: Drain the meatloaf of grease and spoon into a 3-qt casserole dish (The meatloaf will break apart as you spoon it out.) Mash the meatloaf down into a flat layer.
- 14Mix peas and carrots together and add them on top of the beef.
- 15Spoon mashed potato mixture on top of the vegetables. The potatoes should form the top layer, so be careful not to mix the vegetables with the potatoes.
- 16Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Meatloaf Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.9
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 155.9 mg
- Sodium 699.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 35.3 g