Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
After doing a search, I couldn’t find a decent Shepherd’s Pie recipe… I did find recipes for meatloaf and mashed potato bake, however. And thus, Baked Meatloaf Shepherd Pie was birthed. This recipe is an adaptation of two highly rated recipes, Meatloaf #54257 and Mashed Potato Bake #41344. It is comfort food and a great dish to bring to someone who needs a meal, as it doubles easily, and freezes well. Enjoy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 slice bread, finely chopped
- 1 whole egg
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, finely chopped (such as Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 sweet onion, sliced in rings (such as Vidalia)
- 4 butter potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen carrots, thawed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare meatloaf: Combine first eight ingredients in a large bowl.
- Smooth into a loaf baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- While meatloaf is baking, prepare potatoes: Boil potatoes until tender, drain water.
- Mash potatoes with fork, stirring in 1/3 cup of half & half.
- In skillet melt margarine and brown slices of onions.
- Put on lid and cook, stirring occasionally, making sure all of the onions get brown (usually about 10 minutes).
- Mix potatoes and onions in a medium-size bowl.
- Place mixture in 2-qt baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- When meatloaf and potatoes are done, remove from oven.
- Assemble shepherd’s pie: Drain the meatloaf of grease and spoon into a 3-qt casserole dish (The meatloaf will break apart as you spoon it out.) Mash the meatloaf down into a flat layer.
- Mix peas and carrots together and add them on top of the beef.
- Spoon mashed potato mixture on top of the vegetables. The potatoes should form the top layer, so be careful not to mix the vegetables with the potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.