Recipe by JustJanS
I found this in a box of recipe cards I bought at a garage sale.
Top Review by Jen T
The flavours blend really well and it is easy to make. The only problem was there wasn't an amount for the macaroni so I just used 1 & 1/2 cups. This seemed to work fine. Even though there was just the two of us I made the full amount as posted so that I have enough for a 2nd meal later in the week LOL. Added to my keepers file :)
- 500 g ground beef (minced)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (extra)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 125 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add macaroni to a pan of boiling water and cook until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl combine meat, onion, breadcrumbs, parmesan, basil and egg. Form heaped teaspoonfuls into small balls.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the meatballs and cook until well browned, drain then transfer to an ovenproof dish. Reserve oil in pan.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Add onion and garlic to the frying pan; stir over a low heat until onion is softened. Add the capsicum and mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste then water and wine. Bring to the boil, stirring well.
- Mix in the macaroni, salt and pepper and pour over the meatballs.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, then sprinkle with combined mozzarella and extra breadcrumbs. Bake for a further 10 minutes (or until golden).