Recipe by Kathy(
My version of this recipe started with a recipe in a magazine. The original recipe called for carrots, beans, peas, and squash artistically arranged in an ovenproof bowl (as the shell for the mashed potatoes). That seemed so time consuming. I decided to limit the veggie shell to sliced carrots. You can use any combination of vegetables you like for the shell.
- 2 -3 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional) or 1 cup fresh peas, cooked (optional)
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Generously butter a 1 1/2 quart ovenproof bowl. Don't skimp here! If you do, the carrots will stick to the bowl when you unmold it onto a plate.
- Cook carrot slices in boiling water or chicken broth for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; drain and cool slightly.
- Cover the bottom and sides of the bowl with carrot slices. If using peas, cook the peas and arrange the peas between the carrot slices (using whatever design you like). I prefer to cook the peas and use them as a garnish around the final plated dish.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube the potatoes. Cook in a medium saucepan (uncovered) in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain.
- In a mixing bowl, mash potatoes. Mix in eggs, 1/4 cup butter, milk, salt, and white pepper.
- Spoon mashed potatoes into carrot-lined bowl. Cover with foil. At this point you can refrigerate up to 24 hours if needed.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until slightly puffed and the center is hot. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes (a must!), then unmold onto a serving plate.