Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These mashed potatoes can be made ahead, then baked in the oven or reheated in a crockpot. Perfect for Thanksgiving and very creamy.
- 7 1⁄2 lbs red rose potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Peel and cut potatoes into quarters.
- Boil just until soft.
- Drain potatoes, reserving a moderate amount of the cooking water.
- Start mashing potatoes by hand or in a mixer.
- Add cream cheese, garlic salt, pepper, sour cream and butter.
- Continue mashing until the desired consistency is reached and ingredients are well blended.
- Note: Some of the reserved cooking water can be added if the potatoes are too thick.
- Put in a buttered casserole dish (or crockpot).
- Dot top with additional butter if desired.
- Bake uncovered in oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- If making ahead, refrigerate; then bake for 50 minutes in oven or heat thoroughly in crockpot.
- When I bake in my crockpot, I use the low setting for 5 to 7 hours, stirring occasionally.
I made these last year for thanksgiving and I can't believe I didn't give them a rating. And here it is Thanksgiving again. These potatoes are excellent! Highly recommended. Everyone loved them and went back for seconds. Thank you Donna!