Recipe by 2Bleu
This delicious manicotti recipe uses flat no-boil lasagne noodles for a fast and easy weeknight dinner. Adapted from Cook's Country TV, adjusted to our family's taste and put here for safe keeping. This recipe has now become a regular at our house. Enjoy.
Top Review by GibbyLou
I made this Oct 22, 2012. This was delicious and given a 5 star rating by each member of the family. I made the meat sauce in advance. The evening I prepared the dish, I reheated the sauce, softened the noodles, prepared the filling mixture, and rolled the manicotti. I divided the manicotti into 2 pans, 1 to cook and 1 to freeze, and they were packed pretty tightly. My family was anxiously waiting to be fed, so I cooked the manicotti for the recommended 40 minutes, but felt like it could have used more time to become truly bubbly. Next time I will remember to add the shredded Italian cheese to the filling! Thanks for sharing.
- 198.44 g pepperoni, sliced
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.79 ml italian seasoning
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1360.77 g spaghetti sauce (Classico is our favorite)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 473.18 ml ricotta cheese
- 236.59 ml shredded Italian cheese blend (Kraft 5 cheese Italian blend)
- 113.39 g provolone cheese, chopped fine
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 no-boil lasagna noodles (Barrilla flat style)
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
- MEAT Pulse the pepperoni in a food processor until ground. Add (the already ground) beef and pulse until thoroughly combined. (This will blend the flavors better and also prep the beef so it's more tender rather than 'stringy out of the package when cooked).
- Transfer beef mixture to large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, and spices and cook over medium heat, breaking up mixture with wooden spoon, until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer 1 cup beef mixture to paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
- SAUCE: Add spaghetti sauce to the meat in the saucepan and simmer until heated through (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Begin making noodles and filling while sauce is simmering.
- NOODLES Pour 2 quarts very hot tap water into 13x9 inch baking dish. Place noodles into the water ONE AT A TIME (so as not to stick to each other). Soak noodles until pliable, about 8-10 minutes.
- FILLING In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and the reserved meat. Mix well.
- ASSEMBLY Drain noodles on place them in a single layer onto kitchen or paper towels. Pour off water and dry baking dish. Spread half of meat sauce over bottom of baking dish.
- With the short side of the noodles facing you, spread 1/4 cup of the filling filling across the bottom of each and roll into a tube. Arrange the rolled manicotti, seam-side down, over the sauce in the baking dish. Spread remaining sauce over top. Cover with foil and bake until bubbling around edges, about 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with the grated parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered 5 more minutes. ***IMPORTANT*** Let cool 15 minutes.before serving so the cheese 'sets' and is not gooey.