I think this originally came in Women's Day magazine, back when they had a skinny 6 or 8 page cookbook, in a strip, in the center of the magazine. I started making this as a newly wed, and it is still a family favorite. I usually double the recipe and freeze at least 1/2 of the stuffed noodles, since that is the most time consuming part. Serve with a sald and garlic bread, and a good bottle of red wine !
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, slivered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 16 manicotti, cooked
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce
- Make filling by mixing first 8ingredients and 1 cup parmesan cheese.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Cook meat with garlic and onions
- Sprinkle with salt and drain grease.
- Stuff cooked noodles (gently) with filling.
- Butter 12x15 baking dish.
- Spoon tomato sauce in bottom of dish to cover.
- Place stuffed shells in dish to completely fill.
- Sprinkle meat over and around shells.
- Spoon tomato sauce over shells generously.
- Sprinke with 1/2 cup parmesan.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.