Recipe by Sharon123
Spicy, sweet, cauliflower wings, a cross between buffalo wings and cocktail meatballs. With mango preserves, orange juice and loads of Sriracha! You can use any other jam or preserves and make a glaze. The cauliflower is covered in thick batter and baked, then tossed in glaze and served. Use gluten-free flour for a gf batter(a combination of Oat flour, rice flour, sorghum flour). Easily made oil-free as well. From veganricha.com.
Top Review by threeovens
What a great option for those that love spicy chicken wings, but have chosen to eat more (or all) vegetables! I made the glaze with mango fruit spread and found the addition of the sriracha it just a teensy bit too hot for my taste. I just added a touch of sugar and a small squirt of ketchup and that calmed it down but not too much. Cauliflower is just so versatile. Made for PRMR tag game.
- 1 head cauliflower (small-medium size)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup flour plus 2 tbsp flour (half whole wheat and half white is a good ratio)
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 very generous dash black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil (optional)
Mango Sriracha Glaze
- 1 cup mango jam (or preserves or use orange marmalade or grape jelly for variations)
- 1⁄4 cup sriracha sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or more-I used Frank's red hot)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (or apple juice- more juice if you like a thinner glaze)
- generous pinch garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Chop the cauliflower into 1 1/2 -2 inch pieces. Mix everything under batter in a bowl until smooth and thick enough batter that can coat the cauliflower pieces well.(add more flour if needed). Dip cauliflower in the batter and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Line the sheet with parchment or grease very well. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, mix all the ingredients under glaze and heat on medium. Taste and adjust spice, sweet and tang if needed(add sugar or vinegar for extra sweet or tang). You can also use fresh or frozen ripe mango puree + maple/sugar instead of preserves(as suggested by some readers who made these already). Once the glaze is hot, add the baked cauliflower to it. Toss well to coat carefully and let the glaze come to a boil and thicken. 2-3 minutes. You can use a large pan that can fit all the florets or do 2 batches. do not toss/move the florets too much. Serve hot as is, with rice/grains or with any creamy cool dips like ranch. Alternatively, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil and pour over the baked cauliflower, toss to coat and serve.
- Use grape jelly or Orange preserves. Add a 1/4 cup ketchup to the glaze.
- Use Barbecue sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
- To make buffalo wings, mix in enough hot sauce with melted vegan butter or oil (2:1 ratio) and toss the baked cauliflower in it, bake for a few minutes and serve.