Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I haven't made this in years, so was very pleased to find it again as I was browsing through some of my older cookbooks. It's very homey and makes for a great dinner. Prep time includes boiling the macaroni.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to pkg directions; when done, drain and place in a casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, place the tomatoes then stir in the savory, sugar, salt, pepper, green onions and grated cheddar and stir well.
- Pour tomato mixture over macaroni and stir to combine.
- Lay slices of cheese over top of casserole.
- Beat eggs with milk, then pour over casserole; do NOT stir.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Delicious! Just like Grandma and Mom used to make. Had been craving for months, and BAM there was your recipe! Followed instructions, and used tomatoes that were already diced. Could not find Savory at the local atore, but was still delicious! Hubby also raved!
Thank you Lennie. Had This last night 03/19/02. Added a little chopped chicken to it.Nothing to change the taste. Wife and I thought it was very good.
Wow, brought back memories of when I was a child and my mom made mac and cheese. Nice alternative to creamy mac and cheese that is popular today.