Recipe by the_cookie_lady
This claims to be a lower calorie version of a simple baked macaroni and cheese. The eggs in this dish are what make it more like a pie. The recipe in the book is actually called "Low Calorie Pastiere." Recipe from a Boston, Massachusetts community cookbook entitled "The North End Union Italian Cookbook."
Top Review by jilliary
This was even better than I thought it would be. It's delicious comfort food that doesn't seem low cal. I didn't have fresh parsley so I skipped parsley. Also I added 1/4 tsp nutmeg and would definitely do that again. I had a huge container of cottage cheese so I wasn't sure how much 1 lb would be -- it's approximately 2 cups.
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- In large bowl, beat eggs well. Mix in cheeses and parsley well. Stir in macaroni.
- Pour mixture into a generously greased 8" x 12" pyrex baking dish. Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving to allow cheese sauce to thicken slightly. May need to be seasoned with pepper just before serving.