Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Get your fix for baked Italian pasta right at home! Add a salad and bread for a down home meal your friends and family will adore. As with any tomato dish, this tastes even better the next day. This is from an old Polly-O Cheese cookbook.
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage link
- 16 ounces ziti pasta or 16 ounces rigatoni pasta or 16 ounces pasta shells
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) jarfavorite pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Pan brown sausage until tender, drain and cool, then crumble coarsely.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 2 minutes less than package directions.
- Drain, rinse in cold water and rinse again.
- Combine sausage, ricotta, 1 cup of mozzarella, 1/4 cup grated parmesan or romano and 1/2 cup pasta sauce and mix well.
- Mix this into the drained pasta.
- Cover the bottom of a large baking pan or casserole with a layer of pasta sauce, then a third of the pasta mixture and a sprinkle of mozzarella.
- Repeat layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with the last of the mozzarella cheese and the grated parmesan or romano.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until cheese on top is light brown and bubbling.
This is a great Italian casserole. Full of flavor and easy to prepare. I used the Ziti pasta. Added a salad and bread and we had a wonderful meal. Thank you for sharing this, MNLisaB.
This is fantastic. I added 2 crushed garlic cloves,. Lots of flavour and easy to make. I might add oregano next time, but my dh thinks it is fine the way it is. Kids loved it.
A good, easy casserole! I made exactly as directed, with only change being that I used "mild" sausage, as it is what I had. I will make again using the sweet sausage, and this recipe will go into the "cookbook"! :)