Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Homemade Macaroni & Cheese with a delicious breadcrumb topping!!
Make and share this Baked Macaroni & Cheese W/ Breadcrumb Topping recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred the two cheeses into two different bowls.
- Prepare elbow macaroni as directed on box. Drain and set aside for a moment.
- Grease entire surface of your 9"x 13" baking pan generously with butter.
- Start Preparation by covering the bottom of the dish with half of the cooked elbow macaroni.
- Cut 2 TBSP of butter into small pieces (like a pat of butter) and spread them over the macaroni evenly.
- Add a layer of half of the Cheddar Cheese, then half of the Monterey Jack or Mild Cheddar Cheese.
- Add the other half of the elbow macaroni, THEN 2 more TBSP of butter cut into small pieces and spread out evenly.
- Add the other half of both cheeses.
- Add the 2 Cups of milk.
- FINALLY -- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs lightly in a thin layer over top of the whole dish (you may use more or less than my recipe calls for).
- Put in oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until lightly browned
I call this "Daddy mac and cheese" because it's so easy even I can do it. ;-) The kids love it! And now that I know this recipe, the box kind just doesn't cut it any more. I grease the pan with garlic olive oil and leave out the butter. And slice up a couple slices of whole wheat bread for the breadcrumbs. And use a large cast iron pan. (it's heavy)
My first meal cooked from these menus. I really enjoyed it but I think next time I will use less butter and maybe keep the same amount of cheese but increase the macaroni portion as it was a bit greasy. Very tasty overall, added parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs.
Delicious and easy, used pinko instead or regular bread crumbs. Very filling and fattening tho:(