Recipe by AmyZoe
This reminds me of the 70s. There's nothing tastier than homemade macaroni and cheese. Why bother with boxed when you can have this so quickly. Recipe courtesy of McCall's Cooking School.
- 1892.0 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml elbow macaroni
- 59.14 ml butter
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 473.18 ml milk
- 59.14 ml pimiento, chopped
- 59.14 ml green pepper, chopped
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 236.59 ml chicken, slivered and cooked
- 1 large tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Put water in a large sauce pot, add salt, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Add macaroni all at once and stir with a fork.
- Return water to a boil and reduce heat to moderately low. Simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain.
- Meanwhile, put butter in a medium-sized saucepan and heat over moderate heat.
- When butter is melted, remove from heat and stir in flour, salt, pepper, and mustard.
- When mixture is smooth, gradually add milk, stirring until no lumps of flour remain.
- Return saucepan to heat and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until milk mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly.
- Add chopped pimiento and chopped green pepper and reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute longer.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups of the grated cheddar cheese, the cooked and drained macaroni, and the slivered chicken into the milk mixture.
- Pour into a shallow 2 quart round or oval or round baking dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheddar cheese over the top of the macaroni mixture.
- The casserole can be prepared to this point 1 to 2 days before you plan to bake and serve it. You can cover and store in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Place casserole on center oven rack in oven and bake for 20 minutes (longer if casserole has been chilled), or until macaroni is hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and arrange tomato wedges on top of casserole and serve.