This reminds me of the 70s. There's nothing tastier than homemade macaroni and cheese. Why bother with boxed when you can have this so quickly. Recipe courtesy of McCall's Cooking School.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup chicken, slivered and cooked
- 1 large tomato, cored and cut into wedges
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Put water in a large sauce pot, add salt, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- 3Add macaroni all at once and stir with a fork.
- 4Return water to a boil and reduce heat to moderately low. Simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain.
- 5Meanwhile, put butter in a medium-sized saucepan and heat over moderate heat.
- 6When butter is melted, remove from heat and stir in flour, salt, pepper, and mustard.
- 7When mixture is smooth, gradually add milk, stirring until no lumps of flour remain.
- 8Return saucepan to heat and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until milk mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly.
- 9Add chopped pimiento and chopped green pepper and reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute longer.
- 10Stir 1 1/2 cups of the grated cheddar cheese, the cooked and drained macaroni, and the slivered chicken into the milk mixture.
- 11Pour into a shallow 2 quart round or oval or round baking dish.
- 12Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheddar cheese over the top of the macaroni mixture.
- 13The casserole can be prepared to this point 1 to 2 days before you plan to bake and serve it. You can cover and store in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- 14Place casserole on center oven rack in oven and bake for 20 minutes (longer if casserole has been chilled), or until macaroni is hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- 15Remove from oven and arrange tomato wedges on top of casserole and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Macaroni, Cheese, and Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.9
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 1148.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: