Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really yummy twist on traditional mac & cheese. I'm also going to be posting a no-bake noodle mac & cheese recipe in the near future, which you're bound to love. This one's a traditional Lancaster County dish which generally gets rave reviews! Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked & drained
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- In medium saucepan, combine flour, salt, dry mustard& pepper.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Add butter, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add macaroni.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered@ 375 for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Absolutely DEEE-LICIOUS!!! This folk's, is the REAL DEAL!! Instead of using the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, I used plain white bread (toasted & crumbled), which was then sauteed in butter and spread on top of the casserole. I then topped the breading with a " VERY hefty" handful of grated sharp cheese. When the cheese is melted and bubbly, it's "TIME TO CHOW DOWN".
This tasted wonderful and was pretty easy to make. I even heated up some leftovers for lunch this afternoon! Thanks for the great recipe!