Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another simple creamy mac & cheese recipe. When I was a kid my grandmother made it with American cheese and long macaroni noodles. I recently found the noodles that she used in a farmer's market - they are Greek pastichio macaroni noodles broken into 1-2 inch pieces before cooking. Give it a try with the Greek noodles if you can find them. Otherwise, use whatever noodles work for you.
- 473.18 ml elbow macaroni or 473.18 ml penne pasta
- 354.88 ml milk (2% or skim)
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese or 236.59 ml American cheese
- 44.37 ml parmesan cheese, fresh & grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 1 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, then drain.
- While noodles are cooking, combine a small amount of milk with the flour.
- Whisk until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the milk flour mixture, the remaining milk, and salt & pepper to a pot.
- Stirring constantly, heat until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add cheddar cheese in batches, stirring until the cheese is melted before adding more.
- Add macaroni and transfer to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
This was a good baked mac and cheese. My family liked this more then I did. I followed the recipe exactly as written, using the cheddar cheese. I like my mac and cheese more cheesey but my family loved it and ate it up.
Excellent Mac & Cheese. Mine didn't seem to be as creamy as those shown in the photo, but it tasted great. I might add additional cheese the next time I make this. The kids I'm making this for should really like it. thanks Karen for a keeper.
A very good recipe for basic baked macaroni and cheese like my Grandmother and Mom used to make. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe Karen 67!