Another simple creamy mac & cheese recipe. When I was a kid my grandmother made it with American cheese and long macaroni noodles. I recently found the noodles that she used in a farmer's market - they are Greek pastichio macaroni noodles broken into 1-2 inch pieces before cooking. Give it a try with the Greek noodles if you can find them. Otherwise, use whatever noodles work for you.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 1 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, then drain.
- While noodles are cooking, combine a small amount of milk with the flour.
- Whisk until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the milk flour mixture, the remaining milk, and salt & pepper to a pot.
- Stirring constantly, heat until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add cheddar cheese in batches, stirring until the cheese is melted before adding more.
- Add macaroni and transfer to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.