Recipe by karen
Another simple creamy mac & cheese recipe. When I was a kid my grandmother made it with American cheese and long macaroni noodles. I recently found the noodles that she used in a farmer's market - they are Greek pastichio macaroni noodles broken into 1-2 inch pieces before cooking. Give it a try with the Greek noodles if you can find them. Otherwise, use whatever noodles work for you.
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was a good baked mac and cheese. My family liked this more then I did. I followed the recipe exactly as written, using the cheddar cheese. I like my mac and cheese more cheesey but my family loved it and ate it up.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (2% or skim)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup American cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, fresh & grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 1 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, then drain.
- While noodles are cooking, combine a small amount of milk with the flour.
- Whisk until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the milk flour mixture, the remaining milk, and salt & pepper to a pot.
- Stirring constantly, heat until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add cheddar cheese in batches, stirring until the cheese is melted before adding more.
- Add macaroni and transfer to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.