1/2 Photos of Baked Macaroni and Cheese With Broccoli
I wanted to make macaroni and cheese today, and I had some fresh broccoli that I needed to use up. So I decided on this one pot wonder! It was delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) box ronzoni smart taste elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large head of broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shreeded (you can use yellow if you like)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1Bring large pot of salted water to boil for pasta and broccoli. Cook pasta and broccoli together, according to package directions for al dente, and drain.
- 2Make bread crumb topping:.
- 3In small bowl mix together bread crumbs and 1 tbs. olive oil. Set aside.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- 5While pasta cooks, heat a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add 2 tbs. olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Add 4 tbs. butter and melt, then add flour. Whisk until roux bubbles, then cook for 1 more minute.
- 6Whisk in milk, stock, ground mustard and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer sauce stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat add cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until cheese melts.
- 8Add drained pasta and broccoli to cheese sauce, mix well to combine. Transfer to baking dish. Top with bread crumb topping and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- 9Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until brown and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Macaroni and Cheese With Broccoli
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 975.2
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 104.2 mg
- Sodium 681.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 38.1 g