Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Who doesn't love mac and cheese? I figured why not add some broccoli to it to make you feel a little less guilty about eating it.
- 1 (12 ounce) boxronzoni smart taste elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large head of broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shreeded (you can use yellow if you like)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil for pasta and broccoli. Cook pasta and broccoli together, according to package directions for al dente, and drain.
- Make bread crumb topping:.
- In small bowl mix together bread crumbs and 1 tbs. olive oil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add 2 tbs. olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Add 4 tbs. butter and melt, then add flour. Whisk until roux bubbles, then cook for 1 more minute.
- Whisk in milk, stock, ground mustard and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer sauce stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat add cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until cheese melts.
- Add drained pasta and broccoli to cheese sauce, mix well to combine. Transfer to baking dish. Top with bread crumb topping and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until brown and bubbly.