Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Out of all the baked pasta dishes I make my family likes this one the best. It's also very filling, and fairly inexpensive to make.
- 16 ounces one box elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sifted flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 16 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces crumbled bacon
- top with shredded parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs
- top evenly with shredded sharp cheddar cheese (My personal favourite)
- Cook macaroni according to box directions and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add flour and stir constantly until smooth.
- Turn heat to medium and add milk stirring constantly until thick. (About 10 minutes).
- Add hot sauce. Stir until mixed in evenly.
- Add pasta, bacon and cheese. Mix until cheese melts, bacon is mixed in, and pasta is evenly coated.
- Pour macaroni and cheese into a 9x13 baking dish and top according to taste.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. (If using parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs take it out when the top looks lightly browned. If using cheddar cheese topping take out when top becomes darkened, but not burnt.).
Made this dish for a cookout and it disappeared quickly. Only addition I made was that I crumbled Bacon on the top. So delicious
good recipe--we too enjoyed the addition of bacon to an old favorite! I also added some drained canned diced tomatoes because of a dish I had tried at a restaurant similar some years back. Overall very tasty---next time I may try less flour in my white sauce, but that is just personal preference. I'd also like to top with Panko bread crumbs, but will apparently have to venture out of our small town to buy some! Thanks for a yummy dinner for a rainy, cold Sunday night!
Great recipe, love the addition of bacon. I used 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan and more sharp cheddar to top the dish. The panko gives that extra crunch on top that I like.