Recipe by lizzymae
This is a modified version of Ronald Reagan's favorite Macaroni and Cheese. My Grandma made this for us when we were little kids...we didn't like his politics but we love his mac and cheese :)
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this almost as given, but I did divide it between a couple of smaller casserole dishes, with half taken to a neighbor couple who really enjoy it when I make a new mac & cheese! The rest was for the 2 of us right here to devour! I did like the seasonings used here, as they gave the pasta a nice kick! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement recipe tag]
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces angel hair pasta (Broken)
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 ounce hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook Macaroni, throw in angel hair for last three minutes of cooking time.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add butter and egg to pasta, mixing thouroughly.
- slowly add shredded cheese stirring constantly, reserve 3/4 cup for topping.
- turn pasta into a buttered 2 quart casserole.
- dissolve mustard, cayenne, salt, pepper and garlic powder in hot water; add to milk.
- pour milk mixture over pasta.
- top with remaining cheese.
- bake in oven 35 - 40 minutes.