Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make and share this Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 16 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheese, shredded
- ground black pepper
- For the topping, process the bread and butter in a food processor fitted with the steel blade until coarsely ground, about six 1-second pulses; set aside.
- For the mac and cheese, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400°.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni; cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and leave it in the colander; set aside.
- Wipe the pot dry; add in the butter and return to medium heat until melted.
- Add in the garlic, mustard, and cayenne; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk; bring to a simmer and cook, whisking often, until large bubbles form on the surface and the mixture is slightly thickened, 5-8 minutes.
- Off the heat, whisk in the colby and cheddar cheese gradually until completely melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce and stir, breaking up any clumps, until well combined.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the bread-crumb topping.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbling around the edges, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.