Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe came off of the box of Mueller's elbow macaroni and everyone loved it so I am putting it here for safe keeping. I used the Kraft three cheese crumbles (monterey jack, colby and cheddar) in place of sharp cheddar and I think that is what made it SO yummy! And I sprinkled sharp cheddar on top the last 10 minutes of cooking and did not use the croutons.
- 226.79 g mueller's elbow macaroni
- 59.14 ml margarine or 59.14 ml butter
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 0.59 ml dry mustard
- 0.59 ml salt (optional)
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 473.18 ml milk
- 473.18 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml crouton
- Cook elbow macaroni for 9 minutes.
- Drain, cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In medium saucepan, melt margarine or butter; blend in flour, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly; gradually add milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually mix in cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Add pasta; mix together lightly. Pour into 2-quart casserole.
- Top with croutons. Bake 25 minutes.
I made this recipe on 2/21/11 for the " Comfort Food " Event in the Food Photo Forum, and most importantly for mine and my SO's dinner:).I made this recipe as follows,everything but the seasonings and amount of croutons were cut in half.As I was getting ready to make the cheese sauce,only 3/4 cup of cheese was added I wanted to add a bit of cheese to the top before adding the croutons.The baking time was " Right On The Mark ",but we both felt that the finished product needed a bit more of a "kick".I really liked the idea of using croutons in place of bread crumbs or crushed crackers.But thanks for taking the time to post this recipe and, " Keep Smiling :) "
I made this for DH's dinner. He said he liked it and is looking forward to leftovers tomorrow but said this wasn't his favorite Mac & Cheese. He prefers a somewhat more saucy combo. Made for Spring 2010 PAC
This is a simple recipe with great taste, I cut the recipe in half and I also left off the croutons. I like a cheesy crust on top! Thanks to cburke for posting, Made for PAC Spring 2010.