Recipe by Linda N
This is a combination of different recipes I have tried. =) If you can't find the panko crumbs, regular bread crumbs will do just fine.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was a big hit with the entire family, especially my kids. Everyone just loved it. The cheesy breadcrumb mixture on top added a different touch that made this a very special treat for my family. I followed the recipe rather specifically, and I missed where the cayenne pepper was to be added. So my version had no cayenne pepper in it (and it was good despite that mix-up). I will make this again, hopefully remembering to add cayenne next time! Made for 2009 Spring Pick-A-Chef.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta for 6 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and dry mustard and keep stirring for about 5 minutes. Slowly add the milk and keep stirring. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Put about 3/4 cup of sauce in a bowl and temper in the egg when it has cooled slightly. Add this mixture back to the sauce along with 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mixture and pour into a 2 quart buttered casserole dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan. Add the panko crumbs and remaining cheeses. Spread this mixture over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes before serving.