Recipe by Mayniac May Family
This recipe was given to me by my Aunt Hilda. My Uncle John says it is the best mac and cheese that he has ever ate. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this to take to a neighbor couple for whom I often cook (especially when it comes to mac & cheese which they love!) but decided to share it with them instead, 'cause I so wanted to taste this with that SHARP cheddar cheese in it! GREAT MAC & CHEESE, this! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphans in the current Pick A Chef]
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- 16 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 large eggs, lighty beaten
- 4 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer 1/3 each of macaroni, crackers, salt, pepper, and cheeses into lightly greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- repeat layers at least 2 times, more if you can.
- Whisk together eggs and milk and pour over pasta mixture.
- bake at 350 for 55 to 60 minutes or until golden and set.
- let stand 10 minutes.
- note: to save time you can use preshredded cheese, but it will taste better with the block cheese that you freshly shred.