This is a variation of my Mom's recipe. I found the garlic added a nice flavour to the original recipe. In all honesty the spinach was a means of placating my wife. Fresh spinach is best as the flavor is not too strong (great for kids!). The sausage was a spur of the moment add that I thought worked well. I found penne pasta works best. I tried elbow macaroni and the texture just wasn't right. As always, criticism is always welcome!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet sausage
- 1 tablespoon shredded onion
- 3 shredded garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (180 C).
- 2Cook sausage in frying pan, breaking up meat. Drain and set aside.
- 3While sausage is cooking, grate onions and garlic (use smallest grate).
- 4Melt butter over medium heat.
- 5Cook pasta as directed on package.
- 6Add flour, onions, garlic, mustard, and worcestershire sauce.
- 7Slowly add milk. Adding too much will cause the flour mixture to clump together.
- 8Add ketchup, salt and pepper.
- 9Cook mixture for approx 2 minutes after boil, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove mixture from heat, adding cheese. Stir until completely melted and smooth.
- 11Pour cheese mixture, spinach, and sausage into casserole dish, stirring until well blended.
- 12Add pasta.
- 13Sprinkle approximately 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top of dish.
- 14Using a small spoon, place several small tabs of butter on top.
- 15Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 824.7
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 140.9 mg
- Sodium 1621.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 42.6 g