Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a variation of my Mom's recipe. I found the garlic added a nice flavour to the original recipe. In all honesty the spinach was a means of placating my wife. Fresh spinach is best as the flavor is not too strong (great for kids!). The sausage was a spur of the moment add that I thought worked well. I found penne pasta works best. I tried elbow macaroni and the texture just wasn't right. As always, criticism is always welcome!
- 1 lb sweet sausage
- 1 tablespoon shredded onion
- 3 shredded garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups penne pasta
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (180 C).
- Cook sausage in frying pan, breaking up meat. Drain and set aside.
- While sausage is cooking, grate onions and garlic (use smallest grate).
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook pasta as directed on package.
- Add flour, onions, garlic, mustard, and worcestershire sauce.
- Slowly add milk. Adding too much will cause the flour mixture to clump together.
- Add ketchup, salt and pepper.
- Cook mixture for approx 2 minutes after boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove mixture from heat, adding cheese. Stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour cheese mixture, spinach, and sausage into casserole dish, stirring until well blended.
- Add pasta.
- Sprinkle approximately 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top of dish.
- Using a small spoon, place several small tabs of butter on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.